Saturday 10 November 2012

OUGD403 - Self Evaluation: Message & Delivery Posters

This is the brief I think I was most excited about because, as much as I prefer typography, using image is something I've been looking forward to. The idea of creating three posters, one image, one type and one type and image was a pretty open and creative opportunity for me. I had purposely chosen a news story that was quite open so I knew I would be able to create successful designs. The story chosen was about bullying on twitter, so for my research I generally looked at twitter, and I kept the research into this as varied and informative as possible so I could create opinionated and successful outcomes. I believe I did this with the three posters I created.

At first I was a bit disappointed at the idea of only using two colours plus stock, but quickly found that it made my ideas more creative and completely different to the way I usually work. I kept it all simple, using only three elements - the twitter bird, the 140 character statement, and the world map, and even then, I didn't use them all together.

I think I stayed true to my style of work with the way I constructed it, however because of the lack of colour and rules for each poster, it made it different from what I am used to. This worked to my advantage as it pushed me to make the composition and message very clear and obvious to what I was trying to say.

There are definitely things I would change after reflecting on the posters and the anonymous critical evaluation I got from the group crits. However, I do feel that the main aspects of the posters should remain the same as they did get the message across. The one I mainly have to rethink is the Type poster. According to the crit, it was hard to read. I didn't think this was the case, but I will definitely look into it and make it clearer.

One of the main things I had an issue with is that posters are supposed to communicate the message immediately. Twitter is blue, and blue isn't a colour which sticks out like red or yellow. It was said in my crit that they weren't memorable because of this. So maybe in the future I have to try work with it and try make it striking and memorable, even if the colour scheme isn't something that usually stands out.

This brief has certainly made me realise that unlike most of the year group, I am a post-modernist and don't particularly like modern and simple graphic design. I understand that this was the way I had to go on these posters to communicate the message, but I don't think I'll be doing it again. I have a feeling that this is where the main critique on my Type poster was - it was hard to read and overcrowded, but it's just the way I do my work. I am going to try get a balance between the two as I appreciate exactly why modernist graphic design is so popular, but I will definitely stay true to my style of working.

No comments:

Post a Comment