Monday 12 November 2012

OUGD403 - Critical Evaluation: Message & Delivery Posters

This group critical evaluation was done anonymously, so I got three feedback sheets, with no idea who evaluated my work. The crit was also of just the final three posters, and not the project as a whole.
This had it's pros and cons. It meant that I had made a good poster if they knew exactly what I was talking about when they saw it, however the downside is that unless they know the story, they won't fully understand my work and will not evaluate it in context.

I got three completely different feedback sheets, with a completely mixed reaction. One person clearly knew all about twitter and exactly where I was coming from, the second did not, and the third seemed to know a little bit to know what I was sort of talking about.

The person who knew what I was talking about said my posters fulfilled the brief and were definitely related to the story and they could tell exactly what I was going on about. They also gave fair feedback in how to improve the posters.

The second person, who knew nothing about twitter and what I was going on about, was mainly negative in feedback. I think this is down to the fact that they didn't know the context I was basing the posters on. When asked how to improve the posters, they didn't really give any sort of useful and constructive criticism, which didn't help me at all.

The third gave fair criticism and ideas in how to improve the posters to make them more memorable and how to improve them. As they didn't know the context completely, they made suggestions that I had already done, like using the font that is used on twitter, which I did for all the posters - Arial.

The main criticism from one was about the Type posters. - They couldn't see what word went after one another to make the sentence. Although I respect their opinion, I do find that they are quite wrong when it comes to this.
I haven't messed with the type and half of it upside down or done anything like Carson where you can barely read the text and understand the message. They are four statements, clearly laid out, with exactly the same wording, so it is very easy to tell exactly what they are saying.
I did ask a few other people if they had the same problem, and none of them did, so it leaves me with the task to make it perhaps a little clearer without ruining the whole composition of it all.

I do think a lot of the criticism is personal opinion. One said to get rid of the outlines and there were too many, however I find this is a defining feature of the posters and keeps them in a set. It also makes the elements stand out from the backgrounds and separates them from each other - which one person pointed out and seemed to like.

I understand that this is a poster crit, and posters are supposed to be seen and associated to the subject immediately, and because of this, I will definitely take the criticism into consideration and try rework the posters to make them more obvious. However I think that my posters are very self explanatory and have simple things that most people know - the twitter bird makes it obvious it's about twitter, and it is widely known that 140 characters is the amount of characters each post is allowed. I am not a twitter user of any sort and know the logo and that fact about the post, and knew that a long time before researching into the news story.

No comments:

Post a Comment